Thursday, July 15, 2010

Barbie Dolls

Barbie says:  When Barbie dolls came out in about 1959, Linda had one.  She had the original Barbie with dark hair, striped swim suit and a ponytail. Wow!  We couldn't afford a "real" Barbie so I had a Babette doll. We played Barbies a lot. Each spring I couldn't wait for Linda to arrive so that I could show her my newest "Barbie" stuff. We kept adding to the collection.  There was Midge, Ken, a Barbie bed and even a Barbie house.... and yes, at one point I got a real Barbie.

When I was in 5th grade, for Christmas I got a new Barbie with a bu-font hair do and a red swim suit.  I couldn't wait to show Linda when she came up.  I must have asked her about her Barbies before she even got out of the car.  I remember the conversation taking place by the carport as they were getting out of the car, just having arrived.)To my disappointment Linda didn't even bring her Barbies with her.  She had outgrown dolls. (She was now in 6th grade.) I remember acting like "Ah, no big thing. I don't play Barbies anymore either.".... when inside I was so disappointed.  

2 comments:

  1. Linda says: Oh Barbie! I feel bad having read your disappointment about the halt on playing with our Barbie dolls....but you got pay-back .....the summer we arrived and I saw through your shirt that you were wearing a BRA!!
    I was still pretty flat chested and felt so uncool. When I got the chance to bring it up to you, you said "well, don't be too anxious to get one, I HATE it". hahaha. I felt better after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this “Bra” initiation entry❣️
    I remember like it was yesterday, Barbie saying “I HATE it”. l was so relieved haha.

    ReplyDelete